Qualifying to the World Championships is no easy feat - there are only 3 slot per weapon group per country. We were first stoked to have Julian and Amita qualify to represent the US and Singapore respectively at the competition; but nothing beats achieving success at the event.
Credit goes to Julian and Amita who have sacrificed, endured and triumphed. A well-deserved 7th place finish for Julian and Bronze medal for Amita indeed!
We should also not forget the crew who have supported them along the way - coaches who have impacted their journeys, family members, and fellow club fencers. Yes, you who tried to beat them at every opportunity and made them stronger.
Here are the results in brief:
- Table of 64: V15 - 8 (Moritz Schauer, AUT)
- Table of 32: V15 - 10 (Shimpei Matsubuchi, JPN)
- Table of 16: V15 - 12 (Tommaso Marini, ITA)
- Table of 8: D10 - 15 (Vladislav Mylnikov, RUS)
- Final Rank: 7th
- Table of 64: V15 - 9 (Oleksandra Budenko, UKR)
- Table of 32: V15 - 5 (Isabella Gill, GBR)
- Table of 16: V15 - 8 (Hanna Andreyenka, BLR)
- Table of 8: V15 - 6 (Anna Taranenko, UKR)
- Table of 4: D10 - 12 (Nora Hajas, HUN)
- Final Rank: 3rd
Replays of Julian's bouts can be found on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbfirZ_EmIA, switch the camera view to the one for the green strip.
Replays of Amita's bouts can be found on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7FALRMhxF8, switch the camera view to the one for the red strip.
The Junior Championships will begin on 5 April. To follow the event, check out http://fencingplovdiv.com/world/.
And finally, some photos of our fencers!
Photo credits: Augusto BIzzi, taken from FIE's Facebook page.
What's your favourite? Ours is this: